[time-nuts] PN sequence generation using GPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Feb 22 23:52:12 UTC 2011

>> How long you can freewheel depends upon how closely the
>> clocks are synchronized.

> I always thought the receiver's clock kept itself sync'd via a phase lock
> loop with the transmitter.  So the transmitter timing could drift a bit
> "off" and the receiver would follow.  This system also automatically takes
> care of propagation delays perfectly

In the context of this discussion (see Subject) I was assuming that both the
transmit and receive clocks were normally locked to GPS.  I was commenting on
the case where GPS wasn't working.

I think there are really 3 clocks in this discussion.
  One is the reference (say 10 MHz) that turns into the RF frequency.
  One is the chip clock, switching from one frequency to the next.
  One is the reset/init signal for the logic that generates the sequence of
frequencies.

They are probably related like a watch has a second hand, minute hand, and
hour hand connected by gears.  Once you get them started correctly, they will
stay in sync.

A PPS signal from a GPS would provide a nice way to get started, but it needs
a correction for the speed-of-light delay.  I don't know if finding that
delay would be easier or harder than traditional methods for getting the
receiver in sync.