[time-nuts] Earthquake meets time ball

Steve Rooke sar10538 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:12:39 UTC 2011

Many thanks, I appreciate your kind thoughts. If your any good at
fixing power, water, sewerage and can get the ADSL up on my newly
re-connected phone line, as dial-up is really boring, I'd welcome that
with open arms. I do have a petrol generator now but getting it was a
real bun-fight and I was lucky to grab one off the trailer as they
were being delivered to the hardware store. Believe me they went like
hot cakes. Getting petrol was a case of queuing for ages miles down
the road just to be rationed to $50 worth of fuel for the car and the
jerry-can to run the generator. Wish I had my old Land Rover right now
as you practically need a 4x4 to drive on the roads around here. But
we are coping ok and there is a great spirit here with many people
dragging their bbqs into the streets and cooking up their meat from
the freezer and offering to all who come by as it's going off in their
freezers. There's a artesian well-head in a local school that is
overflowing as the power is off and is cannot be controlled, and I can
get to it on foot with bottles I can fill by holding them under the
running water. All this water needs to be boiled and I'm lucky that I
bought a propane gas little cooking hob last time we had a quake so
I'm able to do that and heat up food. It's just like camping here as
you have to dig a hole in the garden for the number 1's and 2's too.
It's OK, we are surviving and it'll all sort itself out eventually.

Sorry for this OT post.

Cheers, Steve

On 24/02/2011, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <AANLkTi=6V+Gwa_o-Z9YXkar5TKzPvGoQc9tLTkOOQ=Y5 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Stev
> e Rooke writes:
>
> Keep smiling Steve, and let us know if we can do anything for you.
>
> --

Steve Rooke - ZL3TUV & G8KVD
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.
- Einstein