[time-nuts] VCXO help

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 12:17:33 UTC 2011

Hello Bert,

That rationale sounds suspiciously familiar. The quest for an ever simpler VCO,
that is. At the expense of some additional phase noise compared to VCXO+PLL, you
could use an ADF4360-9. It is readily available at for example digikey,
currently
for $6.26.

For my fpga based counter project I had pretty much the same thing as what
(I think) you are doing. Simplify it wherever possible... So first use a
PLL with integrated VCO, and see if the phase noise/jitter is not the limiting
factor to your performance. If it turns out to be limiting, you can always do
the more complicated VCXO + PLL + loop filter later.

Anyway, that ADF4360-9 suggestion is working under the assumption that you
are feeding it something like a 5 or 10 MHz reference signal. And it also
assumes you don't mind QFN packages. You know, the little buggers with 0.5
mm pitch and no pins.

regards,
Fred