[time-nuts] Low-cost GPS for NTP server (from Sure Electronics)

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Feb 25 15:11:46 UTC 2011

Folks,

Just to let you know I got the Sure GPS module:

  http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99

working as a source for an NTP server.  I added a couple of wire links to
get the PPS signal flowing down the DCD line of the 9-pin RS-232
connector.  It seems to be a very sensitive unit, and it worked out of the
box.  My hardware patches are documented here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/FreeBSD-GPS-PPS.htm#sure

Tom Van Baak's Web page was an inspiration:

  http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/MG1613S/

especially the animated GIF!

Now all we need is a comparison between the PPS from this board and true
UTC....

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu