[time-nuts] OT: NZ Christchurch member

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 15:51:38 UTC 2011

For meteorologists and geologists, the Richter scale has a carefully defined
meaning and is used only for purposes where that definition fits.

This per a friend of mine who does seismic stuff for NOAA:
Him:  The Richter number means something very specific to us and something
quite different to the media.  Actually, the Richter doesn't have a great
deal of analytical value to us.  You can say, this is a Category Four
hurricane but that really tells you very little about what is going on in
the storm.  Richter is like that.
Me:  You're saying that the Richter is a poor predictor of surface
disruption?
Him:  Well, obviously a 9 will be expected to do much more damage than a 6
but it is at best a very rough indicator.  The location of the epicenter and
a dozen other factors play into it.
Me:  So how do you assess the damage potential?
Him:  Lots of people think we still rely mainly on the old
pendulum-and-stylus seismographs from the 1930s.  Actually, we take a great
many measurements in addition to seismometry.  But when it comes to
assessing the damage, we go outside and look, just like the TV stations do.

And his final comment:  By the way, did you know that when the shuttle
launches we capture that on virtually every strain guage seismometer in the
country?

I found that interesting.