[time-nuts] VCXO help

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 19:02:13 UTC 2011

Hello Chris,

No I didn't know SchmartBoards, thanks for the tip.

Although maybe I am missing something... I just checked their site, and
watched the videos, but I couldn't find anything I'd spend $12 on.

When you say that it is "expensive at $12 each, but you need only one",
do you mean that as "you only need to buy one gizmo once and you can
reuse it to solder multiple different QFNs for several of you prototypes"?

If that, then I missed it on their site. Link please?

If you mean "you only need 1 QFN chip for this particular project, so
spending $12 on an adapter board that you can use precisely once is not
that expensive", then never mind. Then I will keep doing my current
style prototyping style by hand, and spend the $12 on beer to soothe my
nerves after the soldering. ;)

Or .... spend $24 on having several PCBs manufactured that have more
than just 2 QFN's on them. If you have a ready made pcb with an actual
soldermask then QFN's are pretty easy. The challenge is for when you don't
have a pcb with soldermask but still want to use that nifty QFN gizmo in
your current "want to try it NOW" prototype.

I hope I missed something, because an easy way to prototype QFN's that
does not involve spending a fortune on adapter boards would be welcome.

regards,
Fred