[time-nuts] VCXO help

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 00:23:00 UTC 2011

Heh, I could care less about typos. I just honestly didn't understand what
you meant. The best matches I could come up with was "bubble counter" and
"doubler". And since a bubble counter made no sense in this context and a
doubler did, I thought I'd go with that guess and run with it.

So now with that out of the way, the reason I find this interesting is that
there are probably more people on this list that need a fairly simple yet
"good enough" quality 100+ MHz reference locked to a 5/10 MHz reference.
In fact I know of a few already...

Taking my case I'd like to end up with a GPSDO with 10 MHz output and
distribute that to a number of other projects. One project being a counter
for which I need a low jitter reference of anywhere between 100 MHz and
500 MHz, whichever frequency happens to coincide with the easiest design
tradeoffs to realize.

So for the low jitter version I would use the CVHD-950 VCXO series as per
Said's advice in the "10MHz to 80MHz frequency multiplier suggestions"
thread, together with an ADF4002.

And for the simpler design, with worse but still okay phase noise/jitter,
I would use the ADF4360-9.

And you, based on your requirements for your project, would maybe go for
the Cirrus Logic CS2300-CP. And other people on this list would need
something which is fairly similar to one variety or the other.

It would be nice if we had a collection of simple solutions where we have
schematics + gerbers, from which time-nuts members could pick the one they
need for their project and not spend too much time re-inventing the wheel.
Just spend the time to familiarize themselves with a particular well
designed and known-to-work wheel that fits the needs for their project.

Think "sparkfun", but with a distinct time-nutty flavor.

Anyways, sorry for going a wee bit off-topic...

regards,
Fred