[time-nuts] VCXO help

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 02:54:32 UTC 2011

That's a bit of an open question since it depends on many things. So
I realize this may be a bit too generic, but hey you said "any hints ;)".

Simple example that I know to work in linux, and the same principle should
work in windows.

1 - make i2c interface with parallel port + couple of resistors
2 - bit-bang i2c protocol
3 - Write To The Registers You Need [tm]

You only have to invest the time for 1 & 2 once, and then you can do the
same trick for all other i2c ic's out there as well.

What you could also do is grab an avr board (arduino du jour) with an avr
on it that does spi, i2c and rs232. There's plenty that have these features.

Write a small C program that accepts commands over rs232, and writes
registers over i2c or spi. That way you only need to buy a cheap arduino
and write a small program in C for the avr. Compile with sdcc...

For me I'd use SPI, connect to a board I already have, and use a small
perl script that I already have for this sort of thing, but that's no
help to you. :P

Other methods as well, it just depends on what you are comfortable with,
and what you already have lying around...

regards,
Fred