[time-nuts] Newby with questions

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Mon Feb 28 17:57:30 UTC 2011

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM, David VanHorn
> <D.VanHorn at elec-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> I've done the 48 hour survey, but my signal plot shows a big circular
>> shaped mouse bite on the north side. I'm showing no signal up through 70
>> degrees at north, 30 degrees from NE around to NW.   How badly will this
>> impact me?
>
> The 24 GPS satellites are in orbits that never pass over the  poles.
> I think they are about 60 degree inclinations.   By your description
> you must be in the northern hemisphere.  If you can,  set up your
> antenna so it can see to the south and don't worry if the view of the
> north is blocked because as you found there is nothing to see there.
> --
> =====
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

There are currently 32 GPS satellites.

    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gpscurr.html

Not caring about north visibility of satellites from the antenna is
ignorant. The satellites on either side of the "hole" will help a lot with
the geometry of you solution.

I live in the southern part of Sweden, I still see satellites tracked
directly north of me albeit a rather low elevation.

--

    Björn