[time-nuts] Newby with questions

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 19:08:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:57 AM,  <bg at lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 8:37 AM, David VanHorn
>> <D.VanHorn at elec-solutions.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've done the 48 hour survey, but my signal plot shows a big circular
>>> shaped mouse bite on the north side. I'm showing no signal up through 70
>>> degrees at north, 30 degrees from NE around to NW.   How badly will this
>>> impact me?
>>
>> The 24 GPS satellites are in orbits that never pass over the  poles.
>> I think they are about 60 degree inclinations.   By your description
>> you must be in the northern hemisphere.  If you can,  set up your
>> antenna so it can see to the south and don't worry if the view of the
>> north is blocked because as you found there is nothing to see there.
>> --
>> =====
>> Chris Albertson
>> Redondo Beach, California
>
> There are currently 32 GPS satellites.
>
>    http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/gpscurr.html
>
> Not caring about north visibility of satellites from the antenna is
> ignorant. The satellites on either side of the "hole" will help a lot with
> the geometry of you solution.
>
> I live in the southern part of Sweden, I still see satellites tracked
> directly north of me albeit a rather low elevation.

Not completely ignorant.  He described the plot of coverage as a
"mouse bite" taken out of the North.   That implies to me that he is
not way up there in high latitudes as is even southern Sweden.   As
you move south there is no "hole" or more precisely you can't even see
to the center of the hole, let alone across it.

In this case the person had already plotted is satellite visibility
and it makes perfect sense to block the part of the north if it gives
him a lightly better view of the south.
--
=====
Chris Albertson