[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin - maybe we should cut them alittle slack

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 02:31:48 UTC 2011

Thank you, Horst, for your voice of calm reason.

The point that I raised (or tried to...) was that no data base of this size
is capable of being error free, whether the unit cost of production is ten
billion dollars or ten cents.  Random error can be reduced but it can never
be eliminated.  Worse, we can never know for certain how much exists.  cf.
any first year statistics text.

Process engineers--and I'm sure that Garmin has many--devote their careers
to reducing error, both systematic and stochastic.  By the time a map
product gets to market, most of the systematic error will have been
removed.  More in the $100K maps and less in the $100 maps.  It is not
nearly as simple as the cost-per-unit-production model that John posits.
I'm sure he realizes that quite well and was simply trying to make his
point.

But here's the hitch:  No matter how hard those eager men and women work at
it, they will never remove all the stochastic error, partly because, as I
noted, they don't know how much is there.  Because stochastic error is
random, the errors form a gaussian distribution with a mean of zero.  This
enables us to *estimate* the error and make allowances for it, but not to
eliminate it.  Would that we could...

Precision, in process control, is often defined as the standard deviation of
the stochastic error distribution.  That, too, can be improved but never
made perfect.

So...when  people rant about error resulting from shoddy workmanship or lack
of caring...well, maybe.  But no matter how careful the workmanship or how
dedicated the craftsmen, the work will not be error free.  If that error
lands in the lap of your GPS as you seek the nearest Walgreens, you simply
have fallen prey to what one of my old profs called Tuvshitzki's Theorem.

Horst's point is equally valid.  Garmin sells it because for the vast
majority of users, it is plenty good enough and making it better winds you
up on the wrong side of the diminishing returns curve.  That's the
Capitalist
Way.

Don't look at me, I'm not a capitalist.

The world runs on Garmin gear and  Navteq maps.  Much of the DoD relies on
Garmin gear and Navteq maps.  But if they aren't good enough for some of you
gentlemen, the answer is simple:  Don't use them.