[time-nuts] LCD display connector

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 4 00:21:54 UTC 2011

lists at lazygranch.com wrote:
> Most drug store isopropal contain other chemicals to keep your skin from drying out. You can buy electronics grade isopropal. Cheap enough ($5 for a large bottle) if you have a store that stocks it. Fry's Electronics has it.
>
> Of course grain alcohol will do the job.

cheap "grain neutral spirits" aka plain vodka works very nicely for many
cleaning/solvent uses.  Except you are paying the $20/proof gallon tax.

you can also buy 200 proof/100% ethanol at a drugstore, although,
obviously, once you've opened it, it rapidly starts dropping to 95%
because it's quite hygroscopic.  We use ethanol to clean spacecraft
stuff at work.  I can't remember why we don't use isopropanol...
obviously, we can buy it without any additives so it's not the rubbing
alcohol problem.  Other space folks do use isopropanol, but maybe JPL
had some bad experience and once burned, 5000 times shy.  Isopropanol
forms an azeotrope with a bit higher water percentage than ethanol, but
I wouldn't think that's a big deal.

The problem with most denatured ethanol is that what they add to
denature it may be fine in perfume or as shellac thinner, but might not
be compatible with your electronics.