[time-nuts] Comparing 10 MHz Oscillators at 10 GHz

Brucekareen at aol.com Brucekareen at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 23:09:13 UTC 2011

Luciano Paramithiotti's January 1 post about his 10-to-100 MHz multiplier
project reminded me of past musings about using two 10GHz, phase-locked
oscillators to compare the 10MHz outputs of my T-bolt and LPRO so I  could
quickly adjust the latter by observing the mixed 10 GHz signals with  a
microammeter.  I am talking about the California Microwave, Frequency  West, etc.,
modules that were used as local oscillators in commercial microwave  systems.

I was about to ask Luciano for more information on his coil forms,
amplifiers, and RF chokes when it occurred to me that loop-noise in the PLOs  might
force a very narrow bandwidth and correspondingly long observation  time.
Have members of the list been successful with this technique?

While most common PLO modules require an input signal in the 100
MHz-range, I have heard of versions that lock directly to a 10 MHz input.   Is anyone
familiar with these and how difficult it would be to modify  conventional
oscillators to securely lock to 10 MHz?

Bruce, KG6OJI