[time-nuts] Comparing 10 MHz Oscillators at 10 GHz

wa1zms at att.net wa1zms at att.net
Wed Jan 5 00:01:39 UTC 2011

Bruce-

I can speak to the Freq West PLOs. They, like the others, use a
sampling phase detector. In theory you could use any subharmonic of
the actual L-band VCO frequecy to get the loop to lock. I have used
freqs as low as 5MHz. But there are limitations. You must couple the
signal directly to the sampler and must bypass the vhf xtal osc and
amps since they are tuned for VHF.

The lock-in range will be impacted since now the VCO could lock to any
freq with in 5 or 10MHz of the free running VCO.

I can give you more details off-list if you wish.

-Brian, WA1ZMS