[time-nuts] My Garmin 18x, Ver 3.50, currently 1 second slow to UTC

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 08:15:32 UTC 2011

Kevin, Geoff, Joseph, and anyone else who has this problem....

Thanks to Geoff for those measurements.

I had an e-mail response from Garmin which suggested turning off the
position averaging introduced as a new option in 3.50 firmware.  Whilst
that may have helped a little, I still saw (at 19200 baud) sentences
starting during the PPS signal, i.e. more than one second delayed.  This
using a single GPS sentence.

The Garmin rep who wrote to me suggested that Garmin were unaware of the
problem, but would investigate it.  Could I urge you all to report this
problem to Garmin, please, so that we have a greater chance of getting a
fix in the next firmware upgrade?

Thanks,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu