[time-nuts] Basic HP 5334A question

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Jan 5 17:48:54 UTC 2011

Hi

Other than the normal issues with blown inputs, the 5334 is a pretty rugged
beast. It's not got a whole lot of crazy stuff inside it. It does have some
custom IC's and firmware.

The simple answer is that unless you have a valid right of return, it's
never clear what you wind up with. Even a perfect seller can't anticipate
what may / may not happen after UPS bounces it to your door.

Bid like it's broken. Don't bid on the stuff that's obviously trashed.
Always check the shipping charges and treat them as part of the cost. Accept
that you will loose a *lot* of bids. Plan on buying more than one (like 3 or
4). You may wind up with 2 out of 3 working after swapping parts and a
little TLC. Even winding up with 1 working and 2 parts donors is not that
bad an outcome. What's working fine today may have an issue two months from
now.

The nasty part is that it may take you months to come up with a counter. It
also assumes that this is a hobby and your time isn't part of the
calculation.

There's always a tradeoff....

Bob