[time-nuts] Oscillator Packaging

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 8 01:43:50 UTC 2011

On 08/01/11 02:22, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Has anyone experimented with the amount of insulation on a
> 10544 or 10811 oscillator? They are meant to run hot by
> design and I worry that adding any insulation, or too much
> insulation, will either cause over-heating or limit the ability
> of the oven control to maintain the set point.

Too much is indeed something to worry about. An oven relies on the
radiation to the surroundings to get off excessive heat.

Looking at the photos, it is not THAT much. Not very thick at all. See
the naked 10811 next to it.

> None of the hp/Agilent bench test equipment that uses these
> oscillators uses insulation. Perhaps that's a clue.

But the manual *do* recommend to put them in a turbolent free
environment, essentially on in the normal air-flow of fans.

You can do a lot just by blocking direct flow of air.

Cheers,
Magnus