[time-nuts] No State Of The Art Counter

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 8 01:50:30 UTC 2011

On 07/01/11 23:45, Tijd Dingen wrote:

> [...]

Well, you do have comparators and programmable trigger level. There is
no magic to that side. But do care about bandwidth. It might be needed
to actually not use a comparator up-front but rather let there be one or
two stages of gain, where the first one DC-shifts the signal with the
trigger level. This way you gain yourself to a higher slew-rate. This is
really what Collins-style ZCD do. The trick is to balance the gain and
noise-bandwidths such that you get optimum slew-rate bandwidth for
lowest added noise.