[time-nuts] Simulating LORAN-A GRI Timing Generator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 8 05:54:25 UTC 2011

John,

On 08/01/11 05:04, J. Forster wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> See my post of a few minutes ago.
>
> The GRI and Delay counters need to be 5 decimal digits. My current
> thinking is manual entry of the numbers via BCD coded thumbwheel switches.

If you only need a static location that will be fine. Naturally you tune
it up to the ships current (final?) position. Good exercise for the
visitors. :)

> LORAN-A has 24 possible GRIs; in three blocks of 33 PPS; 25 PPS; and 20
> PPS. It also has 4 RF frequencies.

I did a fashinating read-up here:
http://www.jproc.ca/hyperbolic/loran_a.html

GRI is a LORAN-C term if I get it correctly, where as PRR is used
together with frequency indication in LORAN-A.

> Currently I plan only one Slave, but a second would be an easy addition.

Indeed. Considering the chain that used to be there, you could allow for
two chains to be setup on the same frequency (1H chains).

Cheers,
Magnus