[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jan 9 02:56:20 UTC 2011

Hi!

My R&S XSRM Rubidium is having problems. It behaves as there is no light
from the lamp, and I can't see any light from it, but I let it warm up
again. The manual doesn't give clear indication on how one should
observe light, but it seems like there is three locations where some
light might be observed if there where any.

The lamp assembly do have a 100 MHz resonance going and the assembly do
get hot. I need to check the temperature thought.

Spare Rubidium lamps seems to be a bit hard to get by. Having asked R&S
about it I have not been given any indication of availability. R&S has
designed the unit such that the lamp can be switched while the rest of
the unit remains hot. They should have included a small supply of lamps
too...

I assume that the light is visible, I seem to recall it and I am just
too lazy to check the colour right now.

If anyone has experience in the XSRM or similar (HP5065A for instance)
beasts, please let me know. It would be greatly apprechiated if
assistance would let it could go into operational state again.

The resonator package is certainly not miniatyrized.

Cheers,
Magnus