[time-nuts] 10811 foam enclosure

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Mon Jan 10 18:24:31 UTC 2011

Hi

Obviously none of the -40 stuff made it into the final Z3801 specification.
>From the stories I've heard, it was indeed part of the initial developmental
goal. There were several customers beyond Nortel in the running early on.
The whole idea of un-heated (outdoor box) "nano cells" was around a long
time before it became real. Weather the low end was a Nortel need that they
later dropped or from one of the other guys - no clue. Far to many beers
between now and when I heard the story to remember that sort of detail.

I've never seen any frequency vs temperature data on the "double oven"
10811's that shows they are significantly better than a normal part. HP
apparently never published any data. They also never used the approach
again, despite it's being pretty cheap to build (added parts cost). Looking
at the design, it likely isn't a very low gradient device...

Watching a Z380x do it's prediction stuff, aging seems to be the big issue.
Some of my boxes have taken weeks to get to an acceptable (few us) number.
If there's a weakness to the startup under normal conditions, aging /
retrace is the issue.

The heater jacket design is indeed a bit of overkill for the need, but
that's not the first (or last) time HP has done that in a piece of gear.

Bob