[time-nuts] 10811 foam enclosure

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jan 10 18:58:15 UTC 2011

Bob Camp wrote:
the story to remember that sort of detail.

> I've never seen any frequency vs temperature data on the "double oven"
> 10811's that shows they are significantly better than a normal part. HP
> apparently never published any data. They also never used the approach
> again, despite it's being pretty cheap to build (added parts cost).
> Looking
> at the design, it likely isn't a very low gradient device...

The whole 10811 double oven effort was in the "expediency" category.
It was done by people who knew little about oven design and
didn't have time to learn.  Out of curiosity I kept tabs on
the design, and what I saw made me cringe.  There was an absurd wrapping
of coax and flex circuits to try to reduce conductive heat leaks.  I guess
they blundered their way to some kind of a design that worked good enough
to ship product.  It is not much of a proof or disproof of the 10811
double oven concept.  As they say, it is what is it.

Rick Karlquist N6RK