[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion - DIY Cs

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 13 21:44:31 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 18:27, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I certainly agree with that. The tubes in a "portable" cesium are done so
> they fit inside a specific box. In a lot of ways bigger is better if you are
> going to do it yourself. It would not at all be a trivial undertaking. It
> also would not be cheap.
>
> Cs standards with dead tubes are indeed pretty cheap. I think I'd start with
> the electronics from one of them. Being able to do the tube stuff without
> having to do the electronics at the same time should make things a bit
> easier. You could swap out the electronics for your own once the tube was
> doing it's thing.

Hacking existing hardware to achieve a digital steering of C-field
should not be too hard. The first patent I recall uses a RCA CD1802
processor for control. Essentially it adds a DDS, ADC (detector), DAC
(OCXO EFC and C-field control) and processor. It would replace the
normal modulated signal of typical cesium signals (12,6 MHz) and take
the signal prior to classical detectors.

Cheers,
Magnus