[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Jan 13 23:18:54 UTC 2011

J. Forster wrote:
>> I'd imagine building a Cs unit might be a bit easier than an H MASER, but
> not by much. Certainly a Rb is easier.
>
> -John

Other than the "glassware", building an Rb is entirely possible
in your garage, at least if you are a certifiable time nut.
This is based on the HP 10816 mini-Rb I worked on circa 1980.
It would be even easier now.

The glassware is tricky only because you have to work with
stuff that is more like fused quartz than glass.  This is because
regular glass can't deal with Rb very well.

The other problem for the garage builder is that one of the Rb
isotopes is slightly radioactive.  Probably not OK to have
in your garage.

Rick Karlquist N6RK