[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 14 01:21:24 UTC 2011

On 1/13/11 3:18 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> J. Forster wrote:
>>> I'd imagine building a Cs unit might be a bit easier than an H MASER, but
>> not by much. Certainly a Rb is easier.
>>
>> -John
>
> Other than the "glassware", building an Rb is entirely possible
> in your garage, at least if you are a certifiable time nut.
> This is based on the HP 10816 mini-Rb I worked on circa 1980.
> It would be even easier now.
>
> The glassware is tricky only because you have to work with
> stuff that is more like fused quartz than glass.  This is because
> regular glass can't deal with Rb very well.

My glassblowing friends say that it's just a matter of getting
comfortable with the oxyhydrogen torch (with a colorless flame).  If you
can work with Pyrex and a oxyPropane, it's easier.  They all say that
this is a basic life skill that everyone should have.  Yeah, sure.

> The other problem for the garage builder is that one of the Rb
> isotopes is slightly radioactive.  Probably not OK to have
> in your garage.

Pshaw.. we've all got Americium in our houses, what's the big deal. <grin>

My (17 yr old) daughter is intrigued by the whole discussion on the
rad-safe list about K40.  Do you sleep on top of, under, or next to your
partner to minimize radiation exposure.  Does the amount of banana
consumption of either person affect this? (as a father, I'm not so sure
I'm comfortable with the whole discussion. As far as I'm concerned,
she's taking a lead envelope to the dorms to sleep in.)