[time-nuts] Garage built Rubidium standard

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 16:21:40 UTC 2011

Corby I agree that it makes sense. Its interesting how the thread has
destabilized into something about radioactivity, the real thread, and lastly
optically pumped RB/CS references.
The last two for me are of interest. I suppose if I wanted to debate RB I
could go to wikipedia or something.

So following your line of reasoning in pulling the cell and then the only
nasty thing is getting the correct laser, and I fear the most expensive part
some optics. Of course that last lines full of traps actually.

My actual real effort quite soon will be following Magnus's suggestion on an
old funky telco Rb. Need to get a heat gun however. But I really do seem to
recall when I had it apart I saw the stuff on the glass envelope as he
described. So for me thats the first attempt at any real work. The other
thing that effects the reference is the tuning cap on the oscillator. Its
quite touchy and even though originally high quality it does need to be
replaced.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL