[time-nuts] Achievable temperature stability for Thunderbolt environment?

Achim Vollhardt avollhar at physik.uzh.ch
Sat Jan 15 16:36:56 UTC 2011

Hi list,
as my Thunderbolt is now nicely cooking for a few weeks now, I am
wondering what a typically achievable ambient temperature
stability/variation is in your setups.

Of course, a more stable environment is better, but currently I am
struggling to achieve more than +-0.5 K variation on the temperature
reading on a weekend.. during working days (when I am around in the
lab), the variations are as much as 3 times higher.

I am just wondering, if I should rather worry more about high
temperature gradients rather than excursions from a mean value, as slow
variation can be compensated by the control loop while for quick
changes, the loop is just too slow :)

73s Achim, DH2VA