[time-nuts] optically pumped frequency standards

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Sat Jan 15 17:14:36 UTC 2011

My skimming of the articles indicates the efforts with lasers are not
simply as a source of optical pumping light, but the FMing seems to be
aimed at a kind of limited trapping of the Rb atoms to improve
performance.

My original question was simply can the discharge lamp be replaced with a
SS (LASER ?) light source to get rid of lamp life issues. I don't know
what the BW of the excitation source has to be, but I'd expect that any
light outside a narrow bandwith is wasted, or maybe even degrades S/N.

-John