[time-nuts] Fwd: CS reservoir depletion

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Sun Jan 16 20:27:23 UTC 2011

Hello Bob,

very nice summary. Here is a plot to support your list:

In terms of ADEV performance, a good GPSDO can come very close to and in
some areas exceed the performance of a good Cs significantly.

See the attached plot, this was created by super-imposing two typical
plots available on a prominent Time-Nuts members' website, and shows a 5071A
compared to one of our Fury GPSDO units. Both compared against an even better
standard I believe.

The red plot is the 5071A, the black plot is the Fury GPSDO.

We can see that the Fury actually out-performs the 5071A between 0.1s to
10s with quite a bit of margin. Then it is less than one order of magnitude
difference between the two from 10s to about 40Ks, at which time the Fury
seems  to "catch up" to the 5071A. The GPSDO likely also out-performs the
5071A in  terms of phase noise performance.

There is about a 33x price difference between the two units new,  and as
you mentioned the GPSDO is maintenance-free, whereas the 5071A requires  care
from time to time. There is also a massive difference in power-consumption
and thus operating costs.

bye,
Said