[time-nuts] Achievable temperature stability for Thunderbolt

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:42:20 UTC 2011

Generally you have to do some playing with the fan position and internal baffling and thermal mass for best performance of the temperature controller.  You don't want direct airflow onto the tbolt.  Also you probably don't want an large/aggressive fan...  a little airflow can go a long way.

Some thermal mass can  be useful...  I use a 2 kg stainless steel calibration weight (but probably need to do some testing without it.  Warren's setup seems to be a little better than mine,  but he probably does not need to deal with the heating/air conditioning extremes that I do)

One thing that I have is an ESI SR104 hyper-accurate 10K resistance standard.  These have two temperatures where their resistance is exactly 10K.  I have it (and a Fluke 732B 10V precision voltage reference) mounted in a box with a tbolt set to one of those temperatures...  cheap temperature controlled cal lab in a cardboard box.