[time-nuts] Symmetricom CSAC is Cs acting like a Rb unit

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Jan 19 03:50:24 UTC 2011

Hi

Using this directly at microwave - not a real good idea. Using it to drive a 100 MHz phase locked low noise VCXO through a very narrow loop and then taking that on up to microwave - should work pretty well. The only gotcha would be if they are into PSK-32 at 24 GHz and don't like to tune around. Then indeed the GPSDO might do a bit better.

The degree of advantage will depend on just how much power they are already hauling along. If the rest of the gear runs a hundred watts, then there's no significant savings over the alternatives. If they have everything else down to under ten watts, then indeed there will be a real advantage to the low power / small size.

Bob