[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Jan 23 04:19:15 UTC 2011

> On 01/22/2011 11:31 PM, paul swed wrote:
> > Well pretty interesting late afternoon.
> > The oscillator works but C-11 definitely is troubled. Additionally a key
> > element is an effective ground. Bridge the low side of the ampule to a
> > better ground and the oscillator seems to reliably start.
> Ignition occurs
> > when the oscillator is in the 80-85 MC range. It can tune from
> 65 to 130 MC.
>
> Interesting. I tuned for maximum amplitude. Seemed to work well enough.

I've tried peaking a couple of different LPRO-101s for maximum lamp voltage,
and in both cases I found that while it was possible to achieve more lamp
voltage, the short-term stability ended up being a bit worse.  I need to do
some more experiments when I have more time, but my preliminary observation
is that peaking the trimmer for maximum output is not necessarily the best
strategy.  Hard to say for sure with n=2, though.

-- john, KE5FX