[time-nuts] Frequency based on mobile services

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Jan 25 15:44:02 UTC 2011

On Jan 25, 2011, at 7:25 AM, Raj wrote:
>        A thought occurred to me that there should be a way to lock our OCXO/TCXOs to cell phone services signals that that is present almost everywhere. I am not conversant with cellular technology so I am curious!
>
>        Any ideas and/or thoughts?

There's a software tool called Kalibrate for use with the GNU Radio software and USRP radio hardware, which uses GSM base station signals as a standard to measure the frequency offset of the USRP's oscillator. It's not really a time-nutty application, but it serves as an example of using cellular base stations as a frequency reference.

  http://thre.at/kalibrate/

GNU Radio is a free open-source development environment for implementing software-defined radios. The USRP is one of the more popular RF hardware options for use with GNU Radio.

  http://gnuradio.org/redmine/wiki/gnuradio

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
Web page: http://www.nf6x.net/