[time-nuts] TBolt et al

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 02:17:04 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Tim Tuck <timt at skybase.net> wrote:

>.... PPS to provide the ref for an embedded linux box to provide
> NTP. This will provide the 10Mhz and others as the master lock for my lab.
>

> A small chunk of linux based code might do, but a PIC or AVR would be
> better.

Seems that you already have a Linux system connected 24x7 to the
t-bolt.  Why not run the controller on the NTP server?

On my Linux based NTP server I have VMware installed and can bring up
Win XP based GPS monitoring software. This all runs on a tiny little
Atom CPU that does not draw enough power to require a fan on the CPU
heat sink.  It stays stone cold to the touch.  Even running VMware and
exporting the virtual machine's monitor over the network does not seem
to bother NTP performance

Actually I think little can be done to improve the T-Bolt over simply
placing in a "good" location and not near a heater or AC vent and
possibly in a vented  box.

--
=====
Chris Albertson