[time-nuts] Temperature stability for Thunderbolt: results

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Jan 29 17:14:18 UTC 2011

Magnus wrote:

>Maybe a LH controlled hair-dryer to burn off some snow?

I have actually given some thought to adding a de-icer (heater) to my
outdoor antenna, as is done with many broadcast, radar, etc.
antennas.  Of course, it wouldn't need to be controlled by LH -- a
manual switch indoors and a thermostat near or attached to the
antenna would be sufficient.

My present solution is to fall back on an indoor antenna.  Placed in
the attic, looking through just the roof (not the indoor ceiling, as
well), the results are nearly as good as the outdoor antenna (I lose
about 2 dB net through the roof plus 10" of snow, compared to the
outdoor antenna -- the actual field loss is presumably somewhat
greater, but is partially offset by the additional 75 feet (~25 m) of
coax on the outdoor antenna).

Best regards,

Charles