[time-nuts] counter

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Jan 30 07:13:09 UTC 2011

Aha. good to know. Do you suppose if we put on our thinking caps we can
get the academic pricing? Would whinging or outright begging do it?
:-)
Not that the decks are cleared for this project yet. Heck, my picII's
aren't built or programmed.

Don

John Miles

>> With regard to the home-brew counter project, if it still exists:
>>
>> >From friend Marcus Leech on another list:
>>
>> "Don't know whether you've seen these:
>>
>> http://www.knjn.com/ShopBoards_USB2.html
>>
>> $79.95 for the low-end board, which includes and FX2, and a small
>> Cyclone FPGA.  Pretty good
>>   value."
>>
>> Thanks, Marcus. this looks like the very thing, just need the "front
>> end"
>>
>> Don
>>

> One word of warning, purely hypothetical in nature.  As of a couple of
> years
> ago, rumor had it that the guy who runs knjn.com (also fpga4fun.com) was
> convinced that his customers wouldn't mind running his proprietary .exe to
> configure the board's USB chip and FPGA every time the device boots up.
> Schematics were supposedly also not available at that time.  If these
> rumored policies still prevail, that means you'll have to reverse-engineer
> the board's JTAG-over-USB connections in order to do anything practical
> with
> it.  Oh, and also, if you propose open-sourcing the results of your
> reverse
> engineering effort, he may or may not throw a fit and accuse you of
> setting
> out to wreck his business model.
>
> Not that I have any direct knowledge along these lines. :-P
>
> Suggest going with a Digilent board instead -- the Nexys 2 is a bit more
> expensive but infinitely more 'hacker friendly' than any of the KNJN
> products.  At the very least, you want to contact knjn.com before
> committing
> to their board and ask some very pointed questions about the development
> process and support code.
>
> -- john, KE5FX

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road