[time-nuts] Temperature stability for Thunderbolt: results

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 21:46:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM, Bob Bownes <bownes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I solved the same problem today by putting the antenna in the skylight
> dome in my 'office'. Between the heat loss and the dome shape the snow
> pretty much stays off of the skylight. This is after I just had the
> antenna laying on the roof, where it got buried under 10+inches of
> snow in the last week or two.

There are some timing antenna on eBay.  Sell for $28.  These have a
pointed radome and snow can't stick to them.   All of these type
antenna seem to have a 60mm bolt circle for mounting.  I was lucky and
found a standard galvanized pipe flange at the local hardware store
that has a 60mm spacing for the four bolts.  However it would be easy
to drill.  Not all the flanges in the bin had the same mounting hole
location.  Point is that it is very east to mount a timing antenna on
a length of iron pipe.  Looks nice too as the cable fits inside the
pipe.  I took the radome off the peek inside.  There is an O-ring seal
so the inside was factory clean and inside was a helix antenna about 2
inches long. I think these work a little better than the flat type

That said, I live in a place where snow has never happened as long as
anyone can remember.
--
=====
Chris Albertson