[time-nuts] live 50 Hz measurements

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Fri Jul 1 19:46:10 UTC 2011

Pieter-Tjerk,

Now that is exactly what I had pictured in my head yesterday, and the day
before. The chart will give a comparison, over a long time period, of any
deviation. We do the same with calibrations, when we're looking for the
deviation on voltage and resistance, over a month to a year. It's really
similar to the old paper chart recorders on the OCXO and Rubidium WWVB
standards. This is a job well done!

If you don't want to mess with the full line voltage, use a step-down type
isolation transformer, and drive a LED to phottransistor IC, or just use a
1:1 isolation xformer, and use a neon like here. I think Chris mentioned
using the fluorescent lights in his shop as the drive. For accuracy sake,
I'd still compare the line freq. to a standard, but that's just me.

Best,

Will