[time-nuts] General questions on 8510C network analyzers

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Tue Jul 5 19:24:47 UTC 2011

Hi, Tom,

Thanks for your comments. Generally speaking, my VNA needs are quite
ocassional, so even a new ENA would be difficult to amortize :) although
I see it is a nice machine - but surely in the price range of a good car
(I've a price reference of around 28000 EUR for the 1.5 or 3GHz E5061B,
not sure which). I see that they also cover quite low frequencies, that
the 8510C does not, but for that purposes I already own a venerable
3577A - with a minimum frequency of 5Hz, and 300kHz with the 35677A
S-Parameter unit :)

Other reasons why I'm in preference of an8510C instead of A and B is
that it seems to use a not so rare CRT (a colour one, so I suppose that
it has not the issues commonly related with the 8566 spec. an.), but
perhaps I'm not right. I've not seen about an LCD replacement as for the
8566, but being a raster display instead of a vector one, probably would
not be hard to extract the video signals and drive an external monitor
in an emergency.

I see that for the sweeper it is desirable a synthesized one, and
although my current need is not very demanding on frequency accuraccy,
it will be a probably best investment for the future.

As for Opt 10 - time domain, I remember to have read long ago that it is
a purely software option, enabled through a PLD (but this is something
heard or read long ago when I was not so interested on 8510s so I could
be very wrong). For now, I would not need it - but as usual, a nice
thing to have.

Best regards,

Javier, EA1CRB