[time-nuts] Lightspeed (leagalese) vs GPS .. Final report

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Jul 7 18:49:15 UTC 2011

It occurred to me that after the Sirius/XM merger, there is a chunk of
spectrum not really being used efficiently. You have to wonder what the
suits at Sirius/XM are thinking. Dumping one of the bands will piss off
millions. But dumping one of the bands and putting something like
Lightsquared on those frequencies would make it harder for the
government to split the company later, plus it would generate millions
of dollars to sell the spectrum.

Much like the wireless companies paid for the feds to abandon the
1700Mhz band, I could see a scenario where Sirius/XM picks it's favorite
band, steers new customers away from the "bad" band, and then eventually
sells off the band or develops a data service of it's own.