[time-nuts] NERC/TEC test

William H. Fite omniryx at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 14:46:16 UTC 2011

Oh, Chuck!  You have no soul.  [?]  People collect and use Accutrons for the
same reason that people collect and use manual Omega Speedmaster
Professionals.  And the same reason that some of us keep old shipboard
chronometers (mine was built by Thomas Bassnet a little over 250 years ago)
and other vintage timepieces.  We pay a mint to have them cleaned and
lubricated and we understand that their inaccuracy is not a fault but a
measure of where the technology was when they were built.

Those cranky, noisy, inaccurate old devices that you scorn took explorers
across the oceans and to the moon and back.  They are not to be lightly
dismissed.

Most Accutrons run perfectly on 1.55v Ag2O cells and those that don't are
very easily modified to do so.  There are a number of highly capable
watchmakers who can restore and maintain them though some 214 parts are
becoming scarce.  A number of hacks, too, of course.

I also like automatic movements and am wearing an Omega Seamaster right this
minute.

The hum when you lay it on the dresser is part of it.

You can send me all the Accutrons that are doing drawer duty at your house.

Bill