[time-nuts] Am I the only Time Nut who doesn't wear a watch?

Morris Odell vilgotch at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jul 10 00:26:15 UTC 2011

> Bravo, Rob.  I thought I was the lone voice crying in the wilderness in
support of watches.

>My "beater" is an Omega Seamaster that goes everywhere and does everything
all the time.  My others tend to sit in their rocker boxes and seldom get
worn.

This was a very interesting thread. I have worn a watch for the last 50+
years and feel that something is missing without one. Even though my
professional activities (to say nothing of hobby pursuits) mean I have to
take it off from time to time I won't be without one. Looking at the time of
a mobile phone or computer just isn't the same and you can't trust wall
clocks you have no control over. There's nothing like the gesture of pushing
up a sleeve to see it or the ability to glance at it surreptitiously during
boring meetings :-)  My current quotidian timepiece is a Longines quartz
with an analog dial and a date window. It keeps very accurate time and the
crystal is remarkably scratch resistant. I have a Forbes nixie watch too for
appropriately nerdy occasions and an assortment of cheapies for travel.

I was in the amazing clock museum in the Beijing Forbidden City recently.
Has anyone else seen that? It houses an incredible collection of 18th and
19th century extreme high end clocks, from the collections of successive
emperors. They are of course all mechanical ( or water powered) and some are
of amazing complexity. One had a little automaton of a man sitting at a desk
writing down the time! I also saw my first Congreve clock while I was over
there. I am tempted to try and make a version of one if I ever get a year or
three to spare...

Cheers,

Morris