[time-nuts] Am I the only Time Nut who doesn't wear a watch?

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Sun Jul 10 21:20:08 UTC 2011

Hal,

No, it shouldn't have nothing to do with the belts, as they're the same as
timing belts, or toothed belts, and would work the same as gear teeth. The
accuracy will come from the balance wheel arrangement, and with all the
jewels (bearings), one would think it would sure move free. However,
keeping in mind they said they were ball bearings, I would say each uses at
least four "jewel" balls to a bearing, and that is where the majority of
them is used up. I would think that it all goes back to the balance wheel
and the escapement, or type of, as to any accuracy issues, unless of course
the belts do slip somehow, but they shouldn't. I didn't get a good look at
the balance wheel to see what type of temperature compesation it used, if
any.

Best,

Will