[time-nuts] Any thoughts on best rubidium?

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Mon Jul 11 00:25:35 UTC 2011

David,

The FE-5680A is always plentiful, and a lot of them are generally mounted
on a PC board, from pulls, along with having a decent price. The main thing
is availability, which means spare parts if you need them. I also know that
I've seen these used as internal timebases for counters before on the
larger HP types.

The LPRO-101 is almost as plentiful, and where it's in a flat package,
similar to the FE-5680A, it can be internally mounted in the larger
counters.

The SLCR-101 doesn't seem to be as plentiful, but some of these are
supposed to have a new type lamp, with longer life. They generally cost a
bit more too.

The FRS-C, if I recall, are older units, and are boxy, which makes them
harder to mount in thin chassis, if you want to add them inside a counter,
etc. However, they are generally cheaper, and if you're using a home brew
cabinet, size doesn't really matter then.

I have only used the FE-5680A, myself, and can recommend it, but have read
quite a bit about the others in the past. I also think that long-life lamps
are available for most of the newer units too.

Best,

Will

On 7/11/2011 at 12:37 AM Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

>I'm looking to get a rubidium source to use as a reference for a spectrum
>analyser, frequency counter or similar test equipment. All these need a 10
MHz