[time-nuts] More 60Hz graphs

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Jul 12 22:36:59 UTC 2011

There is no cycle glitch here, but the frequency changed enough to attract my
attention.
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/60Hz/60Hz-g11.png

The system I'm collecting data on has good but not great time.  It's running
ntpd, but getting time over the a DSL link rather than from a local GPSDO.
It's generally within a few ms and occasionally off by 10s of ms.  That's
mostly in the fraction of a cycle range so I didn't worry about it.

There is one case where it gets confused.  If I download a huge file (whole
CD), the asymmetric load and long queuing delays on the DSL link confuses
ntpd if it keeps up long enough.  Here is an example:
  http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/60Hz/60Hz-g7.png
The first step is is the confusion.  The other two are recovery.