[time-nuts] Broadband synthesizer

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Jul 13 02:51:08 UTC 2011

Bill,

A generator like the HP 8640B would be tunable like you want, since it's a
continuous mechanically tuned cavity. However, to get into reading
millihertz, you would need an accraute counter to measure the output of the
generator. The problem is, most counters are 8 digits in resolution, and at
say 10 MHz, you would only be able to read down to 1 Hz (10.000001). Also,
in this case, you would want the signal to be as clean as possible IMO.
There wouldn't be any need to buy something real expensive, unless that's
what you're looking for, to use on other projects later on.

Best,

Will

On 7/12/2011 at 9:04 PM Bill Dailey wrote:

>Ok, I have a dds receiver locked to a gpsdo, the radio can only be tuned
in  1 hz increments but should be dead on. I can feed the passband into
speclab via VAC and measure a carrier OTA.  No problem there...can get
decent resolution but there is some uncertainty with regard to the dds
(frequent dependent).  What I would like do is inject a known frequency to
either zero-beat the carrier (assuming I can get something with millihertz
resolution) or provide a non-superimposed carrier that I can reference via
difference in speclab.  The whole point is to eliminate or measure the dds
offset at a particular frequency.