[time-nuts] MIT RADIATION LABORATORY SERIES 1940-1945 (28 VOLS) on eBay

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Wed Jul 13 19:13:07 UTC 2011

Bill,

You are reading John's statement incorrectly.  He is saying that all of these
guys that are scanning copyrighted (or public domain) material are not eligible
for a copyright just for doing the scanning.... That would be like the saying the
company that makes the printer (let's say Xerox) is eligible for a copyright on
material printed on their printers.... but rather their only right to copyright
is for IP material that they add to the original document, not the original document.

Groups like McGraw-Hill may not own the IP that is in their books, but they do
own the presentation, with its arrangement of pictures, typefaces, and arrangement
or text on the pages, etc..

I can conceive of a case where a publisher like McGraw-Hill's copyrighted book
full of public domain IP could be copied if you used your own type font, and
formatting of pages, pictures and text, etc...

-Chuck Harris