[time-nuts] MIT RADIATION LABORATORY SERIES 1940-1945 (28 VOLS) on eBay

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Wed Jul 13 19:37:41 UTC 2011

Chuck,

If the work is still under a copyright, and you copy it by hand, or type
it, word for word, changing the font, layout, etc., they still consider it
plagerism, and it's still a copyright infringement. About all you can get
by with is quoting something you read, and then you are supposed to give
the author their due credit. However, if the copyright has been dropped,
lets say in the case of these, with someone elses work added, all you have
to do is recopy all the un-copyrighted work from the disc, while removeing
their added work, place it on a CD, and you can sale or give the CD to
anyone.

There's a bunch of uncopyrighted work becoming available now, and folks are
reprinting it, or scanning it, and putting it on CD. I worked with a
publisher in Columbus, OH, and wrote a new forward for an old book titled,
"Electromagnetics", and it may now be on ebay for sale. I got paid hansomly
for that work too. With this, though, I think he may be able to add a new
copyright to an old work, just over my new forward, or at least to what I
wrote. In essence, I sold my rights to them. Since its a printed book, I
don't know what that would entail legality wise.

Best,

Will

On 7/13/2011 at 3:13 PM Chuck Harris wrote:

>Bill,
>
>You are reading John's statement incorrectly.  He is saying that all of
these
>guys that are scanning copyrighted (or public domain) material are not
eligible
>for a copyright just for doing the scanning.... That would be like the
saying the
>company that makes the printer (let's say Xerox) is eligible for a
copyright on
>material printed on their printers.... but rather their only right to
copyright
>is for IP material that they add to the original document, not the
original document.

>Groups like McGraw-Hill may not own the IP that is in their books, but
they do
>own the presentation, with its arrangement of pictures, typefaces, and
arrangement
>or text on the pages, etc..
>
>I can conceive of a case where a publisher like McGraw-Hill's copyrighted
book
>full of public domain IP could be copied if you used your own type font,
and
>formatting of pages, pictures and text, etc...
>
>-Chuck Harris
>
>William H. Fite wrote:
>> I just ran into one of our attorneys in the hallway.  Copyright refers
>> the intellectual property, not to the medium.  The fact that the
>> intellectual property of the author is moved from a book to a CD does
not
>> affect copyright, so long as the content is not otherwise altered.
Think