[time-nuts] Worst possible error on a rubidium

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Thu Jul 14 00:06:24 UTC 2011

I think it's more in who had them and tried to calibrate them, as some of
these are actually programmed for the desired frequency. I forget which pin
that is, but I think it may show it in one of the pdfs. There's another pdf
available out there from a ham who did a lot with these, and it did show
how to program/calibrate them.

I know a few of the guy's over in Asia like to play with these before they
sell them, so I think a lot of it's all in whom you get them from.

Best,

Will

On 7/13/2011 at 4:56 PM WB6BNQ wrote:

>David,
>
>The answer to your question is quite complex.  A number of factors control
the
>operation of a passive atomic resonator acting as a filter.  Temperature,
pressure,
>buffer gas mixtures, external magnetic forces, coupled light excitation,
the length
>of the cavity, the interrogating external RF energy level are but some of
those
>factors.
>
>The "Atomic" nature of the filter is based upon the extremely narrow
resonance of
>electron absorption of energy which occurs at a specific frequency and is
influenced
>by the previously mentioned factors.  That specific RF excitation
frequency is
>different for each element in the Periodic Table.  For example the
Hydrogen Maser is
>around 1.45 GHz; the Rubidium is in the 6 Ghz range and the Cesium is in
the 9 Ghz
>range.
>
>None of the specification sheets even approach trying to answer such a
question
>directly.  However, with certain qualifying assumptions, it could be
inferred from
>"certain" specs, if available, as a general idea, BUT, by no means the
complete
>answer.
>
>For example, looking at Symmetricom's XPRO Rubidium spec sheet, they give
a 10 year
>spec of ?+/-1x10e-9.  The assumption is the unit was built correctly, was
adjusted
>to be precisely on frequency at its intended installation site and was
left powered
>on, in a stable atmosphere, without failures of any kind for the entire 10
years.
>If the product truly met those assumptions and specs, then I would say,
with some
>confidence, that if you picked up a used one working properly that it
would be
>reasonable to assume after powering up and allowing it to come to a stable
>temperature (24 hours) and it indicated a locked condition that it would
be within
>1x10e-9 of the correct frequency.  Unfortunately, FEI is not so forth
coming with
>their product literature, but I suspect their units are similar.
>
>Also, be aware that at least one member on this list has reported buying
two 5680A's
>from China and they were both significantly off frequency by many hertz.
Inspection