[time-nuts] Japan Quake May Have Shortened Earth Days, Moved Axis

Rob Kimberley rk at timing-consultants.com
Thu Jul 14 14:08:54 UTC 2011

However, atomic time and "earth time" effectively drift apart, and that is
why periodically we have leap seconds to bring the two closer together
again. So we still need the astronomical measurements.

Think of it as atomic time being the "linear" reference, and earth time a
course saw tooth, which periodically comes into sync with the addition (or
subtraction) of leap seconds.

Rob K